Close Menu
The American Tribune.com
    Telegram Facebook
    The American Tribune.com
    • Home
    • Political Commentary
    • Business and Economy Commentary
    • Entertainment Commentary
    • Sports Commentary
    • General Commentary
    The American Tribune.com
    Political Commentary

    Trump Scores Big Ballroom Fight Win

    By Russell WallaceAugust 23, 2026
    Facebook Twitter Email

    President Donald Trump scored a crucial win Friday when Chief Justice John Roberts allowed construction of the White House ballroom to continue, stopping a lower-court order from bringing much of the project to a halt. The last-minute intervention came only hours before restrictions on above-ground work were scheduled to take effect. Crews can now remain on the job while the Supreme Court considers the administration’s emergency request for a longer stay.

    The dispute focuses on a roughly 90,000-square-foot ballroom and security complex being built at the site of the former East Wing. The National Trust for Historic Preservation sued after the administration began the project without seeking specific authorization from Congress. The group argues that major construction on federal property in Washington requires lawmakers’ express approval, while the administration maintains that existing law gives the executive branch the necessary authority.

    Roberts issued an administrative stay, a temporary measure designed to preserve the current situation while the justices review the case. Roberts’ order doesn’t resolve the lawsuit or indicate how SCOTUS might rule. Roberts handles emergency applications coming from Washington, D.C., and may act alone initially or refer the matter to the full court.

    The order erased an immediate deadline that would have stopped above-ground construction before the end of Friday, as Trending Politics reported. The lower courts had permitted underground military-related work and construction considered strictly necessary for White House security to proceed. Their injunction, however, would have blocked the administration from continuing work that locked in the above-ground ballroom’s size and scale.

    U.S. District Judge Richard Leon issued the revised injunction in April, and a divided panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit upheld it in a 2-1 decision on August 7th. The appeals court then delayed its ruling for two weeks to give the administration time to seek Supreme Court relief. “Whether or not a massive ballroom should be constructed is for Congress to decide and is not a matter for Executive self-help,” the panel wrote.

    The Justice Department argued that the ballroom cannot be separated from a much larger security upgrade beneath and around it. In its emergency application, the administration called the project an “integrated military complex” that is “vitally required by national security.” Government lawyers said the underground and above-ground components share structural and security systems, making a halt to one part disruptive to the rest of the project.

    The filing described a five-story-deep structure equipped with bomb shelters, medical facilities, military-grade ventilation, reinforced construction, missile-resistant features and protection against drones. It said the overall project was 65% complete when the application was filed, with a 250-person crew working 20 hours a day, seven days a week. The administration said the ballroom was being funded with approximately $400 million in private donations and that about $200 million had already been spent or committed on the overall project.

    "*" indicates required fields

    This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
    GOP should investigate Nancy Pelosi*
    This poll subscribes you to our premium network of content. Unsubscribe at any time.

    The administration also challenged the National Trust’s standing to bring the case, arguing that a member’s objection to the building’s anticipated appearance does not amount to the concrete injury required for a federal lawsuit. Solicitor General D. John Sauer warned that the group’s theory could allow millions of visitors to sue the government whenever they disliked a change at a public building, historic site or park. The National Trust countered that Congress holds authority over federal property and said the administration could seek approval from lawmakers at any time.

    Roberts’ order remains in place pending further action from the chief justice or the Supreme Court, leaving the broader legal fight unresolved. The Court can extend the stay, permit the injunction to take effect or send the emergency application to the full bench for consideration.

    Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube Telegram
    • About
    • Contributors
    • Curation Policy
    • Affiliate Disclosure
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms of Service
    Copyright 2022 The American Tribune

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.