“Fox & Friends” co-host Lawrence Jones III revealed that a frightening medical setback was behind his recent absence from the Fox News morning program. The 33-year-old underwent another operation on Wednesday after suffering a second detached retina. Jones said the recurring problem followed an earlier retinal tear that doctors eventually traced to a childhood sports injury.
Jones disclosed the news in a social media post Thursday after viewers noticed that he had disappeared from the “Fox & Friends” desk. The Fox News personality previously underwent surgery for a detached retina in January, but the latest complication forced him away from the cameras once again. Jones thanked his colleagues, Fox management, the network’s viewers and the medical professionals treating him.
“Hey family, You may have noticed my recent absence. I’ve been open about my eye surgery due to a retinal tear,” Jones wrote. He had initially described the condition as genetic while discussing his first operation earlier this year. Doctors later determined that an injury he sustained while playing sports as a child had caused the original damage.
“However, I later discovered that this was caused by a childhood sports injury,” Jones continued, according to Trending Politics. “Regrettably, I’ve sustained another retina detachment, which is common after the initial tear.” Jones didn’t disclose when he began experiencing symptoms from the latest detachment, but said it required another operation.
“Yesterday, I underwent surgery again with the best care team,” Jones wrote in the Thursday update. “I want to express my deepest gratitude to my colleagues, Fox management, and our audience for their unwavering support during this challenging time.” He did not provide a concrete timeline for when he will be able to return to the program.
Jones first publicly explained his eye problems in January after an earlier absence prompted questions from viewers. During a telephone appearance on “Fox & Friends,” he said he had experienced trouble with his eye for much of his life but had delayed visiting a specialist. Jones finally made an appointment after the wife of one of his friends urged him to have the condition examined.
“I said, ‘Why not?’” Jones recalled, according to the Houston Chronicle. “Let me go and see this doctor, and three hours later they determined that my retina had been detached, and it had been that way for a long time.” The initial operation successfully reattached the retina, although swelling prevented Jones from immediately returning to work or traveling.
"*" indicates required fields
Jones reported noticeable improvement in his eyesight following that procedure. “On the bright side, since they have reattached my retina, each day my vision has gotten better and better since before the surgery,” he said at the time. He also encouraged other men to take their health seriously, writing, “Fellas, when a woman asks you to see a doctor, you should probably listen to her. But seriously, stay on top of your health, fam. I’ll be back soon!”
Jones joined Fox News Media in December 2018 and previously hosted the Saturday program “Lawrence Jones Cross Country.” Fox named him a permanent weekday co-host of “Fox & Friends” in September 2023, placing him alongside Steve Doocy, Ainsley Earhardt and Brian Kilmeade. Despite the second operation and another interruption to his work, Jones closed his update with an encouraging message for viewers: “I’m optimistic that I’ll be back soon!”